Saturday, February 4, 2017

Poems



I.

Life story

Sometime around the year
2012
Or 2013
I realized that
I was not nearly as good
As I had thought –
That I did things too
That hurt other people
That were selfish and stupid, and that I did them
A fair amount of the time.

Sometime around the year
2016
Or 2017
I realized that
While all that was true, and
Not at all to be gainsaid
There are nonetheless
Some out there
Who are worse.


II.

I wonder sometimes –
Not that I’ve done so very well for myself –
But I wonder, I say –
 would I have gotten
Even half as far as I have
If it were not
For these dimples?


III.

I used to be sick
So sick I couldn’t stand
Then, one day, I guess,
I got better –
Better to say –
The world got sick with me
 Crazy as I had been, it
 Got crazier
So that now
God help me,
I’m thriving!
Oh my.
How much stranger
 everything turned out to be
Than we were expecting…


IV.

Happiness is such a sneaking thing
Clutched to one’s chest one fears most mightily
That it will be discovered
And what inspires the feeling of shame
And fear – is not that they will hate you for it

But that they are right to do so!

1 comment:

  1. amazing!
    i. totally true
    ii. ha!
    iii. interesting ...
    iv. this is very joshy

    ReplyDelete